The medal is made of bronze, obtained by smelting 280 quintals captured French guns. On the obverse of the medal depicts a crowned letter “W”, below in two lines of the inscription: “Victorious army” (“Dem Siegreichen Heere”). Circle runs the inscription: “God was with us, to Him be the glory” (“Gott war mit uns, Ihm sei die Ehre”), below is a small six-pointed star.On the reverse of the coin depicts an equilateral Teutonic cross with divergent lights between the beams. On the Central part of the cross superimposed tied at the bottom by a ribbon Laurel wreath, inside which the two lines indicate the dates of the beginning and the end of the war: “1870 1871”. On the edge of the medal in capital letters, is the inscription: “From captured guns” (“Aus erobertem Geschuetz”). The tape is missing.